My Community
  • September 18, 2018, 03:23:37 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

collapse

Author Topic: Some ideas for topics  (Read 1531 times)

Uncle_Joe

Some ideas for topics
« on: March 09, 2017, 05:38:51 pm »

Some things I would be interested in.

- Have a unit of the episode? Is it good, combos, when would you take it instead of another similar unit. Finish it with a "score". Then maybe have a poll somewhere to see if listeners agree with you?
- One-off guests? Paolo, Greg, Olivier, Joe, etc (if they were interested)
- Sample lists? For example, come up with an odd scenario and then make a list to deal with it? (discuss why the units were chosen, etc.)

Uncle_Joe

Re: Some ideas for topics
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 05:42:02 pm »

Also, maybe 3rd party  and official terrain and conversion discussions.

Franky

• Dust War Journals
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 08:44:02 pm »

All very good suggestions! I have had a few similar thoughts myself, we'll see what comes to fruition.
Dust War Journals podcast: https://dustwarjournals.com/

Joe McLaughlin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 11:26:17 pm »

There are certain things that translate well to Radio (podcasts) and certain things that are better for print.  For example, modeling topics are better in print because you can have step by step pictures.  It's hard to translate that into spoken word.

Interviews would be great, such as with Oz and Paolo and others.  Just get an idea of what they are doing and what they have planned.

I also think I'd like to hear interviews with just regular players throughout the world.  I've tried doing this with the magazine, but it's not easy sending emails back and forth with questions.  Where I'm going with this is that I think it would be interested to hear how people play the game in England, so maybe talk to the Dust Off people just about how they play their normal games, talk to someone in Poland, in South Africa, in San Diego California, in China, etc. 

I'll give you some more ideas, at the risk of knowing I might be giving away some of my own ideas for the magazine.

I was thinking of some strategy discussions.  Like:

What's the best way to deal with Steel Guard?
What's the best way to deal with Guai-Lo?
How to you defeat the situation of the Punisher that's constantly being repaired by the command squad hiding behind it?

Another idea is a unit comparison:
Do a comparison of the Allied bulldog to the Allied Pershing II to the Allied Wolverine II to the Cobra.  Which would you use when?
Or a cross faction comparison: Pounder Versus Ludwig. 

Just my two cents.

Graystoak

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 08:05:09 pm »

Unit discussions would be really interesting. There are lots of comparable units across the factions. Take the three sniper teams or command squads of different types. Heroes are an obvious point for discussion, which ones are over used and which never seem to get fielded and why? You could have the same discussion about platoons.

I'd definitely be up for hearing players around the world interviewed.

Jarhead

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 10:49:23 pm »

Interviews would be great, such as with Oz and Paolo and others.  Just get an idea of what they are doing and what they have planned.

I also think I'd like to hear interviews with just regular players throughout the world.  I've tried doing this with the magazine, but it's not easy sending emails back and forth with questions.  Where I'm going with this is that I think it would be interested to hear how people play the game in England, so maybe talk to the Dust Off people just about how they play their normal games, talk to someone in Poland, in South Africa, in San Diego California, in China, etc. 

I don't know how you handle the interviews but during my time at a music online-mag it helped me immensely with mail interviews to arrange them in a way that there was a flow but nevrheless the question where kind of stand alone-ish, sending a couple of questions laid out so that the follow up question would fit in but wouldn't necessarily depend from the previous answer. was necessary as the musicians don't necessarily had the time to answer follow up emails but helped immensely to develop a certain "question discipline", what you get has to suffice and depends from what you send the first place. at least when the possibility for an exchange is extremely limited that worked well for me.

cheers
"Retreat Hell! We just got here!"

Ravenwing

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 10:24:45 pm »

Building a bit on what has already been suggested, it could be interesting to hear a complete build of an army - not just a single unit discussed.
Somebody could explain the whole gaming and fluff background to their army.
Copenhagen Dust player - no grid

Ravenwing

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 10:35:16 pm »

The first Chapter of blood and thunder was great! When Will we get Next Chapter?
Copenhagen Dust player - no grid

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 06:11:50 am »

The first Chapter of blood and thunder was great! When Will we get Next Chapter?
I don't know if/when the second chapter will be available, but I've forwarded your request to Luddaz (who was the voice in chapter one).

dropdeadcriminal

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 01:39:22 pm »

I know you have touched on it before, but I would like to hear some more in depth discussion on the effect of map size.
I recently played a game on 2 of the large vinyl maps from the KS (18x12 total grid size). On that map mortars dominated the day. There were 2 sniper teams trying to take them out but the mortars out ranged them and the command squad could either heal the mortar or give it a second activation.  This had not really been a problem on smaller maps.
It would be great to hear thoughts on; what types on units work well on different size maps, is there a too big and too small (do certain types of units break the game at excessive sizes), what army point total is good for different map sizes, what skills become too good or useless at the extreme map sizes, and maybe some fun ideas for odd shaped maps (maybe a long narrow map with a bunker siege scenario or something).

dropdeadcriminal

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 03:03:21 am »

Another idea.
A build an army on the cheap challenge.
Build an army using only currently available units and sets.
Army should be 100 points, needs to include at least 1 starter set, should be both cheap (in $) and effective.
Put up a poll afterwards to allow people to vote on the most efficient army.

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 05:21:15 am »

Thank you for some interesting ideas! I will discuss them with the other guys.

Christoff

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 09:07:20 pm »

I'd like to second the idea of building an army on a budget as an episode topic.  Maybe it is worth reminding people (I have to remind myself at times) that Tactics units still work and they are often cheaper.   
From my personal experience, setting up saved searches on ebay for applicable keywords and frequently visiting the page below, have helped me grow my armies substantially and frugally. 
https://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?q=Dust+tactics#/?_=1&filter.product_tag=Clearance&page=1
Terrainiac

* Recent Posts

Re: Mobelwagens - luftwaffe clears the sky! by Ravenwing
[Today at 05:58:45 am]

Re: Mobelwagens - luftwaffe clears the sky! by Franky
[September 17, 2018, 07:20:09 pm]

Re: Mobelwagens - luftwaffe clears the sky! by MaGoff
[September 16, 2018, 10:18:56 pm]

Re: Mobelwagens - luftwaffe clears the sky! by Ravenwing
[September 16, 2018, 11:29:56 am]

Re: Mobelwagens - luftwaffe clears the sky! by awx
[September 16, 2018, 12:03:59 am]