My Community
  • July 16, 2018, 06:19:41 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

collapse

Author Topic: Cards based on historical figures  (Read 956 times)

Christoff

Cards based on historical figures
« on: June 03, 2017, 03:52:26 am »

Hello all, I am new to the forum but have been playing DUST in one variant or another since 2013.  I have made a few DUST heroes based on historical figures that you may be interested in.  I have also painted miniatures for both of these fellows but haven't photographed them yet. What are your AP recommendations?

Mad Jack - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

Viktor Leonov - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Leonov
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 04:10:28 am by Christoff »
Terrainiac

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
Re: Cards based on historical figures
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 10:20:45 pm »

Hi Christoff

Sorry that I forgot to give some feedback on these.

I've thought a bit about them and I think they are intersting. I like the concepts but I think they should both be a bit more expensive, especially Viktor who is a very good Hero.

Have you run them through your Unit Calculator yet? My guess is that Mad Jack will be about 10 or posdibly 11 AP while Viktor is about 12 AP.

Regarding the stats, the only thing that looks a bit weird is the Longbow. Stat-wise it's a Machinegun which just feels strange to me. What if you changed it to 1/1 vs all Infantry and gave him Sniper?

Christoff

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 09:23:29 pm »

Hey Magnus, I spaced it on responding to this.  I have just gotten around to making up some new units using the calculator.  Here are some of the results!  *Obviously, not all are historically based.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:15:48 pm by MaGoff »
Terrainiac

Mechaholic

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 01:52:16 pm »

Nice Work ! 8)
Peace through superior firepower !

Ravenwing

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 06:43:13 am »

I only see this now, so sorry for the necromancy.

The Corsair seems a bit cheap compared to the damage output? Maybe that is because it is only plane 1, so easy to kill(?)

Why is the flakvierling a kriegsmarine sub-faction? Should it not just be a axis bloc or Luftwaffe sub-faction unit?
Copenhagen Dust player - no grid

Jarhead

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 10:32:30 pm »

I only see this now, so sorry for the necromancy.

The Corsair seems a bit cheap compared to the damage output? Maybe that is because it is only plane 1, so easy to kill(?)

Why is the flakvierling a kriegsmarine sub-faction? Should it not just be a axis bloc or Luftwaffe sub-faction unit?

joinging the necromancy I would really handle the Corsair very differently. being plane 1 and/or only having 6 HP doesn't make much sense to me, as the corsair was actually renown for its exceptional ability to handle punishment for a plane its size. I guess speed is fine, though unsure, for a while it was the fastest american plane after all.

Pretty neat Wolverine Card, very close to what I have in mind for him. though I would actually try something different with his damage output and Infantry class. It's wolverine after all. Are we talking before or after adamantium treatment Wolvie here? (I know what would canonically be the case, just wondering what you based the values on) and, he needs to be superhuman. no way around that.  ;)

Cheers
"Retreat Hell! We just got here!"

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 08:46:13 am »

I like the concepts of all of these!

They do need some adjustments though, for example:

The range of the Corsair phasers should be a bit shorter (Aircraft weapons have shorter Range than "normal") and the AP should be a bit higher. I agree with Jarhead that it should also have higher armor and/or more Damage points.

The OTL-34 seems a bit expensive and should not have the Passengers rule (the game has no rule for "Tank Riders" any more). Armor 5 also seems too much for a T-34. Putting it at Armor 4 would be more appropriate in my opinion (that would make it comparable with the Panzer IV-K for example).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 08:48:33 am by MaGoff »

Jarhead

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 09:54:45 pm »

I honestly overlooked some of the details, shouldn't do that half asleep.

I also like the concepts, very much so. But I agree, some overhaul would be needed.

Corsair: seemingly a version somewhere of the F4U-1A to D is the basis for this. Sadly there is nor real reference as to the speeds of the DUST 1947 Jetplanes. Seemingly they are yet subsonic, at least the "standard" fare we where getting to up to now. certainly the axis has some supersonic badassery up its sleeve.
so assume the 12/24 Movement means that on full throttle they still go under 1000km/h, even if barely. The Corsair F4U-1D reached 680+ km/h so does that varant a 8/16 Move compared to the 12/24 of the Axis Jets? or rather 10/20? on the other side, why should it be linear? due to possible shortcomings of piston engines vs jet engines in higher velocities while holding up very well in lower ranges it could be 10/18.
And I would suggest Plane 2 with at least 6, but a tendency towards 8 hitpoints. that gal could take a beating. lots of surface without directly having crucial elements everywhere.

If keeping the phaser, which actually is an idea that doesn't sit to well with me if depicting a F4U-1X the more I think of it, it of course needs shorter range as plane based weapon and it would significantly raise points as those buggers are expensiv. swap "and stay down" with "salvo" to get anything out of those phasers. or just forget them, keep with more traditional ordnance and give "and stay down" to those 6x .50 calibre lead belchers in its wings,  ;) a strafing by these was the bane of many a japanese and Axis ground or ship bound troup (Corsairs where used by the British Navy in the ETO for a short period..in which they managed to take part on the raid on the Tirpitz, btw)

Cheers

Mechaholic

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 12:18:34 pm »

And I would suggest Plane 2 with at least 6, but a tendency towards 8 hitpoints. that gal could take a beating. lots of surface without directly having crucial elements everywhere.
I suggest a Plane 1 but make it damage resilent with a movement of 9/18 .
Peace through superior firepower !

Jarhead

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 09:13:31 pm »

hm..however much I like the Idea of damage resilience on ANY Allied unit, there is up to now not a single official Allied Unit with DR for whatever bigot and evil reasons ;)
somehow I refrain from giving DR to an in universe technologically outdated plane. It could really take some punishment, but does that varant DR? I actually don't believe so. maybe a whole lot of hitpoints, for sure. that may be a route to go. I'm still on the fence about the Plane 2 though. I really think the Corsair would be a 2...but maybe more so in the later incarnations. Maybe thats it it, this one 1 as early version, still very much intended for an interceptor role. much hit points. 8 at least. I like that 9/18 move. later version plane 2. actually I will think about that a bit more, as I intend on discussing my version of a F4U-4B here soon.

cheers

Ravenwing

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 04:57:03 pm »

I would give the Corsair plane 2 and 6 hit points - like the German aircraft. It would stil get at least one save.

I agree DR would not really fit an allied plane.

Just my two cents :)
Copenhagen Dust player - no grid

* Recent Posts

Re: City table by Graystoak
[Today at 05:33:41 pm]

Re: Dust EU Championship 2018 - By the Numbers by Wiggy
[July 15, 2018, 07:58:10 pm]

Re: Dust EU Championship 2018 - By the Numbers by MaGoff
[July 15, 2018, 02:36:48 pm]

Re: Dust EU Championship 2018 - By the Numbers by MaGoff
[July 15, 2018, 01:22:47 pm]

Re: Dust EU Championship 2018 - By the Numbers by Graystoak