My Community
  • November 19, 2017, 01:06:29 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

collapse

Author Topic: Episode 9 - Faction Of A Doubt  (Read 554 times)

Franky

• Dust War Journals
Episode 9 - Faction Of A Doubt
« on: June 05, 2017, 05:57:22 am »

http://dustwarjournals.com/2017/06/05/9-faction-doubt/

In this episode, the Vikings talk about painting and hobby work, and the importance of setting goals. Also, a lot of new releases are discussed, as well as a lot of tidbits and information from all over the internet. Finally, they discuss the faction bonus and how to make calculating easier, and what impact the faction bonus rule has had on the game.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 06:08:45 am by Franky »
Dust War Journals podcast: https://dustwarjournals.com/

Ravenwing

Re: Episode 9 - Faction Of A Doubt
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 08:57:28 am »

Just heard the podcast. Really interesting stuff. Especially new releases and the new special skills. Luftwaffe has intrigued me a lot and with the new heroes I might add some units.

Personally I love the faction bonus. It adds a lot of fluff. However, one way to moderate the use is to not give faction bonus for the bloc units. For example no bonus for axis bloc, allied bloc, SSU bloc, but bonus for Luftwaffe, blutkreutz, NDAK, marines, spetnatz etc.

Looking forward to the next one. :)
Copenhagen Dust player - no grid

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 02:43:32 pm »

Just heard the podcast. Really interesting stuff.
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy it.

...one way to moderate the use is to not give faction bonus for the bloc units. For example no bonus for axis bloc, allied bloc, SSU bloc, but bonus for Luftwaffe, blutkreutz, NDAK, marines, spetnatz etc.
I think that the Bloc armies are the ones that need such a bonus the most.

At the moment Bloc armies are usually struggling when they are up against the most popular Faction armies. No need to give NDAK, Spetsnaz and USMC even more of an advantage than they already have in my opinion.

Jarhead

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 03:13:05 pm »

I think that the Bloc armies are the ones that need such a bonus the most.

At the moment Bloc armies are usually struggling when they are up against the most popular Faction armies. No need to give NDAK, Spetsnaz and USMC even more of an advantage than they already have in my opinion.

Agreed. Due to things often discussed here, the old units of the game (so usually the "bloc" units) can need anything to keep them playable. one of the rather ugly traps of long running games and its developments: the old units become useless. hard to circumvent but I think avoiding it is also testament to a good game. keeping it interesting without making the old units obsolete. Dust did some things to help with some of the Platoons for the old stuff and by making it clear that faction bonus applies to bloc also. a trend I wholly support. (no wonder, most of my stuff being on the older side of the game ;))

cheers
"Retreat Hell! We just got here!"

Ravenwing

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 08:39:57 pm »

Interesting thoughts. I have only played one game so far, so still a beginner. However, I think the range of choices for marines, NDAK etc. is so small they needed more help. I guess I am wrong.

Anyway, great to get some insights.

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 09:28:42 pm »

The number of choices for Sub-factions vary greatly. Some have many, like the NDAK, USMC, Spetsnaz and Red Guard, while others have few, like the Special Service Brigade or Desert Scorpions (though the Scorpions will get more in a fairly near future).

The fact that a Sub-faction army can have up to 25% Bloc units and still get the 10% bonus makes for a very large range of models and combinations to choose from for some of them. It is also my opinion that the most popular and efficient Sub-factions (at the moment) relies on undercosted units (mostly infantry) and/or platoons that are a bit too powerful.

Graystoak

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 08:10:16 am »

The fact that a Sub-faction army can have up to 25% Bloc units and still get the 10% bonus makes for a very large range of models and combinations to choose from for some of them. It is also my opinion that the most popular and efficient Sub-factions (at the moment) relies on undercosted units (mostly infantry) and/or platoons that are a bit too powerful.

This is very much the issue. The faction units and heroes are, for the most part, superior and/or more cost effective than their Block equivalent. This issue is compounded by the fact that faction units still have access to the best of the Block armoury should they need to include a unit with specific skills their own units lack.

Jarhead

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 10:29:42 pm »

This is very much the issue. The faction units and heroes are, for the most part, superior and/or more cost effective than their Block equivalent. This issue is compounded by the fact that faction units still have access to the best of the Block armoury should they need to include a unit with specific skills their own units lack.

very interesting, I never looked at the "no factions in Bloc armies but bloc units in faction armies though they qualify for the bonus" issue like that, but its true. gives them another advantage I saw and used practically but never realized the additional impact in that clarity.

thanks for pointing out.

cheers
"Retreat Hell! We just got here!"

Ravenwing

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 08:54:10 am »

I never noticed that. Where does it say one cannot use factions in bloc armies?

Does it mean that my axis bloc army cannot use 25% NDAK units without losing the bonus? If that is the case I agree it hits bloc armies particularly hard. Easy to house rule, but still strange.

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 09:08:58 am »

I never noticed that. Where does it say one cannot use factions in bloc armies?

Does it mean that my axis bloc army cannot use 25% NDAK units without losing the bonus? If that is the case I agree it hits bloc armies particularly hard. Easy to house rule, but still strange.
It's in the Official FAQ (check out the Download section here on the forum).

Basically you have three broad choices when you build your army:
  • A mixed army with anything you like. This will not get the 10% faction Bonus.
  • A Sub-Faction army with at least 75% from the chosen sub-faction. The rest can be Bloc, Merc and/or 1 Captured Vehicle, but no other sub-faction. Qualifies for the 10% faction Bonus.
  • A Bloc Army with at least 75% Bloc units. The rest can be Merc and/or 1 Captured Vehicle, but no sub-faction units whatsoever. Qualifies for the 10% faction Bonus.
So yes, it means that your Axis Bloc army cannot use any NDAK units if you want to get the 10% faction bonus.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 09:23:40 am by MaGoff »

Graystoak

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 09:52:54 am »

You know it never occurred to me that Block forces couldn't use Faction units. This means my Wehrmacht Army can't have Angela and still qualify for the 10% bonus. A further blow to Block forces.

Ravenwing

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 12:38:24 am »

Greystoak, me too. That is really a big unbalancing factor.

I am definitely going to houserule that out. I doubt it will be a problem as my main opponent wants to use spetnatz in a SSU bloc army as well.

* Recent Posts

Re: Unit Cost Rebalance by Graystoak
[November 18, 2017, 08:06:32 pm]

Re: Unit Cost Rebalance by MaGoff
[November 18, 2017, 01:56:49 pm]

Re: Bonus heroes by Corman
[November 18, 2017, 01:46:19 pm]

Re: Bonus heroes by MaGoff
[November 18, 2017, 11:20:51 am]

Bonus heroes by Corman
[November 18, 2017, 10:04:44 am]