• November 19, 2017, 01:09:10 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

collapse
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Episode 11 - The Kondor Has Landed  (Read 693 times)

Franky

• Dust War Journals
Episode 11 - The Kondor Has Landed
« on: August 11, 2017, 10:14:19 pm »

http://dustwarjournals.com/2017/08/11/episode-11-the-kondor-has-landed/

Operation Kondor has arrived!

In this episode of Dust War Journals, Ludde, Magnus and Johannes dives deep into the newest expansion book for Dust 1947. In this exclusive pre-release read-through, they review all the new unit, platoons and scenarios, as well as the optional Advances Rules for gridless.

Other topics discussed in this episode include the newly released Dust eBooks, tournaments both recent and upcoming, and the previews of the upcoming GenCon releases.

Also, stay tuned at the end of the episode, and you'll hear Magnus drop a personal bomb shell!
Dust War Journals podcast: https://dustwarjournals.com/

Jarhead

Re: Episode 11 - The Kondor Has Landed
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 10:31:24 pm »

I'll wait until my next painting session to listen to the podcast but on the weekend (I made it kind of a ritual to isten to it when I paint some units) but saw the snippets from Operation Kondor on the homepage. awesome you got this early preview! how did you pull that off?

cheers
"Retreat Hell! We just got here!"

Joe McLaughlin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 11:51:08 pm »

Congratulations Magnus on your personal bombshell.  (No spoilers for those who have not listened)

Thanks to your episode, I just restructured my hobby schedule.  I'm currently painting some models from the Walking Dead game.  I had some ideas for what to paint next, but now I'm definitely going to put together my Luftwaffe faction.

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 06:38:15 am »

I'll wait until my next painting session to listen to the podcast but on the weekend (I made it kind of a ritual to isten to it when I paint some units) but saw the snippets from Operation Kondor on the homepage. awesome you got this early preview! how did you pull that off?
I'm glad you like the pod. We simply asked DS if they could send us the pdf so we could review it in the podcast, and they said yes  :)

Congratulations Magnus on your personal bombshell.  (No spoilers for those who have not listened)

Thanks to your episode, I just restructured my hobby schedule.  I'm currently painting some models from the Walking Dead game.  I had some ideas for what to paint next, but now I'm definitely going to put together my Luftwaffe faction.
Thank you!

I'm happy that you like the pod and that we can give some inspiration. Good luck with your Luftwaffe project!

Jarhead

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 07:18:42 am »

I'm glad you like the pod. We simply asked DS if they could send us the pdf so we could review it in the podcast, and they said yes  :)

awesome. I'm already "sharpening" my Tools in the hopes of getting some paint on plastic saturday / sunday and then will listen in :)

Cheers

Jarhead

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 07:35:05 am »

And here we go with the possibility to throw our Money at them:

The Dust Gen Con offerings: http://dustgame.com/news_d.php?id=394

have to say, love that they included the Bloc allies Card for the (much overdue) command vehicle Version of the Dodge truck. pricing for the model...hm.... ??? while for the Campaign book seems ok.

cheers

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 09:00:04 am »

The prices for the non-Premium boxes are tad high at first glance, but you do get three different configurations and four different cards in one box.

The return to multi-option boxes is great if you ask me!  :)

Jarhead

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 01:03:26 pm »

Actually, I just realized that the primed Version is also a multi-Version Box and I have to say:

the return of the Multi Version primed Edition of vehicles is the answer to a lot of my prayers concerning this game so thank you, Dust Studios.   8)

really. Pricing policy Overall is worth a discussion or two but this as such REALLY is an awesome move.

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:05:38 pm by Jarhead »

Jarhead

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 12:42:31 am »

I finally had oportunity to listen to the latst episode (meaning I also painted a little, hurray!)

Very entertaining as alway and many thanks on the insights. I think I will really purchase the Kondor source book for much of the fluff alone. Couldn't agree more on the advance rules, though.

one thing botheres me though. scenarios. you said its 12 x 18 squares now, which for several reasons isn't a size I'm entirely comfortable with. at least not if that is going to be the new "standard". Any indication of that or is this rather for the special suroundings indicting the wasteness of the desert?

cheers

Ravenwing

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 05:31:36 am »

Great episode! Really enjoyed it and there are some cool things to add to the collection when it is released.

Also looking forward to hear the "blood and thunder" podcast although for some reason I cannot download it yet.

Thanks for the effort.
Copenhagen Dust player - no grid

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 07:10:00 am »

I finally had oportunity to listen to the latst episode (meaning I also painted a little, hurray!)

Very entertaining as alway and many thanks on the insights. I think I will really purchase the Kondor source book for much of the fluff alone. Couldn't agree more on the advance rules, though.

one thing botheres me though. scenarios. you said its 12 x 18 squares now, which for several reasons isn't a size I'm entirely comfortable with. at least not if that is going to be the new "standard". Any indication of that or is this rather for the special suroundings indicting the wasteness of the desert?

cheers
I'm glad you enjoy the pod!

All three scenarios in Kondor are played on 12x18 squares. I don't know if this a new "standard" or not. Personally I hope that DS will keep doing both large and small scenarios, just as they have done in the past. Variation is nice  :)

Great episode! Really enjoyed it and there are some cool things to add to the collection when it is released.

Also looking forward to hear the "blood and thunder" podcast although for some reason I cannot download it yet.

Thanks for the effort.
Thanks! I'm happy you like pod!

The B&T pod is up on the DWJ website. Contact Franky if it doesn't work for some reason.

Jarhead

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 08:00:28 pm »

I'm glad you enjoy the pod!

All three scenarios in Kondor are played on 12x18 squares. I don't know if this a new "standard" or not. Personally I hope that DS will keep doing both large and small scenarios, just as they have done in the past. Variation is nice  :)

I like the odd big scenario as much for variety as most. but that is actually a size I'm not able to put on my normal table though I will increase in size when we moved in autumn. When our little "bombshell" has settled in, I'm in the hope of using the new dinner table as often as possible to do a little dust among other games a little more often and supporting 12x18 would need me to built something to place on top of my table which would kind of annoy me as this also would need space to stow it away when not in use and thats an issue. the 9x12 and even the polish tournament 9x18 sqaures are no issue, but 12x18...  :o

cheers

Graystoak

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 09:32:22 pm »

I'd Fallen a little behind with my podcasts but really enjoyed listening to this yesterday afternoon. What a bumper episode at two hours long!
Great to learn so much about Kondor.

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment of the advanced rules. They don't move the game forward enough to warrant the complications that another rules version poses to events organisers. On a more positive note, the fact that people are viewing the grid-less system with such a critical eye, makes me think that the next version of the rules will see a lot of improvements and take the game back onto the table top in a big way.

On that note, why don't they get Andy Chambers to stop writing novels and do the next Dust rule book!? Having that kind of name behind it again would really raise the profile of the Dust game.

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 06:15:55 am »

I'd Fallen a little behind with my podcasts but really enjoyed listening to this yesterday afternoon. What a bumper episode at two hours long!
Great to learn so much about Kondor.
I'm glad you enjoy the show! Yeah, it was a bit of a Monster Episode at over 2 hours, but we really wanted to go through all the cool stuff in the new book. Normally we aim each episode at about 1 hour.

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment of the advanced rules. They don't move the game forward enough to warrant the complications that another rules version poses to events organisers. On a more positive note, the fact that people are viewing the grid-less system with such a critical eye, makes me think that the next version of the rules will see a lot of improvements and take the game back onto the table top in a big way.
I agree. Like I said in the pod: To me it feels like they wanted to "fix" a bunch of things. But they only did it halfways so everything is still there, just a little bit different, which is a fairly pointless way to do it if you ask me. If there are problems in the rules you should completely change those rules, not just half of each rule.

On that note, why don't they get Andy Chambers to stop writing novels and do the next Dust rule book!? Having that kind of name behind it again would really raise the profile of the Dust game.
There are probably several reasons for DS to not hire Andy Chambers as a Game Designer. My guess would be Money and Control. They have loads of bad experiences of that from the BF era and probably want to stay in-house, at least for now.

Graystoak

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 07:01:43 am »

Yea, I guess it isn't that straight forward.

I have to disagree with you guys on the so called 'immortal leader rule'.
I can understand why grid players think it's a good idea but ultimately they are not the ones who have to play it!

In truth the inclusion of this rule was a PR disaster and it was singularly responsible for many grid-less players quitting the game altogether, especially here in the U.K where there used to be one of the largest player bases.

The rule in itself isn't a huge problem (although If you want that degree of abstraction I can't understand why you wouldn't just play on the grid). Its that it requires a far longer explanation than simply saying 'model to model line of sight', and opens the game up to all kinds of game breaking shenanigans like placing your leader in the open while the unit hides behind a building. It also requires all kinds of caveats and additional rules to support it. Hence we are left with the immortal leader rule.
Pages: [1] 2

* Recent Posts

Re: Unit Cost Rebalance by Graystoak
[November 18, 2017, 08:06:32 pm]

Re: Unit Cost Rebalance by MaGoff
[November 18, 2017, 01:56:49 pm]

Re: Bonus heroes by Corman
[November 18, 2017, 01:46:19 pm]

Re: Bonus heroes by MaGoff
[November 18, 2017, 11:20:51 am]

Bonus heroes by Corman
[November 18, 2017, 10:04:44 am]