My Community
  • October 23, 2018, 03:40:39 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

collapse

Author Topic: Episode 17 - Technical Difficulties  (Read 690 times)

Franky

• Dust War Journals
Episode 17 - Technical Difficulties
« on: February 08, 2018, 10:44:29 pm »

https://dustwarjournals.com/2018/02/08/episode-17-technical-difficulties/

A new year, a new setup, and new things to talk about in the world of Dust!

In this episode, we discuss all the latest releases and previews for Dust 1947, answer a listener question, and talk about recent and upcoming tournaments. Specifically, Johannes gets grilled about the upcoming Dust Nordic 2018 tournament in Gothenburg, Sweden!
Dust War Journals podcast: https://dustwarjournals.com/

Christoff

Re: Episode 17 - Technical Difficulties
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 07:02:36 pm »

Great episode, all!   

I particularly liked that you took some game-related questions and discussed strategy.  My group tends to fall into the same patterns over and over, then we get a new guy that comes in with a new strategy and makes us all look like noobs, so reviewing strategies and builds will be quite helpful. 

Some divergent thoughts on female unit figures - The "sexy" sculpts don't offend me, but I'm not sure they do justice to representing women who've been in combat the way sculpts of male soldiers do (Frank being an exception).  Also, these sculpts might not be a great way to attract potential female players to the game. That said, I think that the Tina and Roza models are amazing- They look combat-effective and are shapely without being overtly "sexualized." I'm not saying that overtly sexualized poses need to go, but I think that sculpts of women who look as combat-focused as many of the male sculpts would be cool. To be clear, not knocking it but it's something to think about.

Also, I'm not sure who said that women didn't serve in the allies (ignoring the Russians) but if spies count, there were lots of them - https://listverse.com/2013/09/05/10-women-spies-who-brought-down-the-third-reich/ so there's definitely room for depicting them as bad-asses without offending the game's historicity.

Terrainiac

Graystoak

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 08:23:10 pm »

Really enjoyed the episode as always. I second the comment above, itís nice to hear some community questions and strategy discussions.

My view of the female Dust models has always been that they eco the style of 1940ís pin ups, the kind of thing you would find painted on the noses or tails of aircraft. To me this fits perfectly with the Dust universe which has some very strong female characters at its centre. However I would like to see some Merc units that arenít female as well as some Block units tha are!

Regarding the Dust Nordic tournament, I would be interested to know if both grid and gridless play are supported?

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:27:22 pm by Graystoak »

Franky

• Dust War Journals
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 12:53:25 pm »

Regarding the Dust Nordic tournament, I would be interested to know if both grid and gridless play are supported?
Yeah, that's actually something we should have mentioned. This will be grid only, as that's what most players seem to want at the moment.
Dust War Journals podcast: https://dustwarjournals.com/

Graystoak

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 04:12:06 pm »

I think grid is easier for tournaments. Clean cut and quick to play.

I just looked into flights to Gothenburg from London, returns from £34!!

Unfortunately March is a busy time for me and I donít think I could make the trip.

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 10:15:50 am »

I just looked into flights to Gothenburg from London, returns from £34!!

Unfortunately March is a busy time for me and I donít think I could make the trip.
Yeah, flights are pretty cheap between London and Gothenburg. If you could find the time to go to Nordic 2018 it would be nice to meet you in person  :)

* Recent Posts

Re: Special Episode - Opening the Hellgate by awx
[October 21, 2018, 02:01:47 pm]

Re: Special Episode - Opening the Hellgate by MaGoff
[October 20, 2018, 08:27:30 pm]

Re: Dust Skirmish by Graystoak
[October 19, 2018, 03:54:05 pm]

Re: Special Episode - Opening the Hellgate by awx
[October 19, 2018, 01:01:01 pm]

Re: Luftwaffe Hero-Modelkit by Mechaholic
[October 18, 2018, 12:15:22 pm]

* Calendar