• September 18, 2018, 03:08:21 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

collapse
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: City table  (Read 365 times)

Graystoak

City table
« on: July 05, 2018, 07:15:32 pm »

For some time I’ve been working on a city table based on the Tenement buildings from the Operation Cerberus expansion.

When I first got into Dust a few years back I managed to pick up five copies of the Operation Cerberus set. I have slowly been figure out how I’m going to use them ever since!

One thing I was clear on was that I wanted to make as many buildings as possible in order to create a dense city table. To make the most of the components I had available I decided I would build four intact buildings and four ruined ones, in varying degrees of destruction.

My good friend and gaming buddy Fil offered to help out with the project by building a large central building for the table. This would be scratch built but would incorporate whatever spare tenement sections were available, in order to give our city a unified look.

From the start my plan was to mount each building on its own section of pavement. This would allow us to use a gaming mat for the road sections, as defined by the edges of the pavements. It’s would also  give some depth to these flatter parts of the table.

Graystoak

Re: City table
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 07:20:29 pm »

Here are some early layout ideas showing how the buildings could be placed on a 4x4 board. This helped me work out the dimensions of the pavements so I could make sure the roads would be a reasonable scale.

Graystoak

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 07:27:48 pm »

Here you can see a couple of 1:43 scale trucks that I used to ensure my roads were wide enough for two vehicles to pass one another.

As you can see in this image I’ve made my buildings rectangular as I never really got on with the switchback corner on the tenements. I found it made it difficult to get your hands inside and also made the buildings seem smaller than they really were. I decided to stick to single story buildings, again to make sure my bits went as far as possible. Although I think higher buildings look very cool, I found we rarely moved to the 2nd floor in game.

Graystoak

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 07:42:04 pm »

At this point I had pretty much settled on the construction of my buildings. The plan was to give each section of pavement a curved end, (to create the feeling of roads), and a square end to allow them to butt together in pairs. I wanted to leave enough space on the square end to create an alleyway between the buildings. I felt that this should be wide enough for medium vehicles but that the larger (unbased), vehicles would be restricted to using roads or moving through areas of ruin.
(Try to ignore Mrs B. You know how cats are with boxes)!

Below is a floor plan design for the pavements. There are two sizes of building, this was necessary to make the most out of the building components but also offered some variety for table lay out. 

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 09:40:46 pm by Graystoak »

Graystoak

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 07:49:45 pm »

While I was busy with all of this ‘logistical’ stuff, Fil was making some impressive progress on the centre piece of the table ‘Graystoak Hall’.

This is the only picture I have at present but I’m going to get Fil to post some more images of it under construction as it really is quite impressive!

In order for the roads to be wide enough I gave Fil a strict limit of 40x40cm. That was the pavement size and the hall had to fit within it, ideally with 3-4cm of pavement all round. It does fit on the pavement section but only barely, with just 2cm of pavement to spare on the sides!

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 05:36:13 pm »

It all looks great so far! I'm looking forward to seeing the completed table.

Jarhead

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 07:11:55 pm »

very nice project. keep us posted.  8)

cheers
"Retreat Hell! We just got here!"

Graystoak

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 08:18:11 am »

Cheers guys.

Here is the next stage, the buildings have been glued together and had their internal first floor sections put in. We’ve trimmed the cardboard floor sections back to ensure hands can reach past them to ground level and clad them with floor boards (aka coffee stirrers). The ruined sections have been cut back with a Dremel to create a damaged effect.

In the second image you can see the plinths have started to go on. This gives a little extra help and more finished look to the buildings. It also offers some cover to infantry who move to the roof level, effectively giving us a 2nd floor to move up to in game.

Mechaholic

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 10:54:41 am »

Nice work ! ( By the way , what are the stats for the cat ?  ;D  )
Peace through superior firepower !

Graystoak

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 02:57:28 pm »

She has ‘Climb’ and ‘Ferocious Claws’ 😄

Graystoak

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 07:03:08 am »

Here are a couple of the constructed buildings. The first is one of the larger buildings, made using the standard frontage. The back has been squared off, giving you an internal space equivalent to six grid squares.

The second building is made using the smaller window sections directly connected to the front door and central upper window. This is in place of the larger, standard front windows. The overall width is about 2cm smaller than the standard build.

I played around with a lot of different combinations but found these two builds made the most of my components and added some variety to the look of the buildings.

Graystoak

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 07:06:40 am »

This is the largest of the ruined buildings. The whole frontage is still intact but the rear is completely levelled. It’s standing on my current mock up pavement section.

This picture shows how the building tops have been extended with cut off corner top details (spare pieces taken from the ruined sections of building). The white section is 3mm plasticard with some plywood detail added to the top and a simple square section added to the bottom. This finishes the building tops off and adds some nice detail, and extra strength, to the otherwise flimsy plasticard.

The white patches on the walls are household filler which has been used to tidy up the more prominent joins. I also used this liberally around the tops of the roof to blend the various components together.

Mechaholic

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 11:08:21 am »

Hi Graystoak ,
I´ve found this at thingiverse , maybe you can use it .
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:653459
Peace through superior firepower !

Graystoak

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 05:33:41 pm »

Thanks for this. I do have access to a 3D printer but I think I have enough building components and don’t want to add anything that doesn’t match the architecture. Although that is pretty good tbh!

Graystoak

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 09:46:47 pm »

This is the above ruin now textured and primed. I started with a stone effect texture spray which came out multicoloured. I sprayed over this with black and then dusted over with grey. I also masked off and added a beige colour to some of the details. This is just a starting point as I’m planning to revisit the colouring at a later stage.
Pages: [1] 2

* Recent Posts

Re: Mobelwagens - luftwaffe clears the sky! by Ravenwing
[Today at 05:58:45 am]

Re: Mobelwagens - luftwaffe clears the sky! by Franky
[September 17, 2018, 07:20:09 pm]

Re: Mobelwagens - luftwaffe clears the sky! by MaGoff
[September 16, 2018, 10:18:56 pm]

Re: Mobelwagens - luftwaffe clears the sky! by Ravenwing
[September 16, 2018, 11:29:56 am]

Re: Mobelwagens - luftwaffe clears the sky! by awx
[September 16, 2018, 12:03:59 am]