My Community
  • October 23, 2018, 03:51:00 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

collapse

Author Topic: Dust Skirmish  (Read 188 times)

Graystoak

Dust Skirmish
« on: July 25, 2018, 07:42:42 pm »

With the recent release of Kill Team from GW I got thinking about how Dust could be altered to play as a skirmish game where every model operates independently.

Here are some initial thoughts.

Graystoak

Re: Dust Skirmish
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 07:43:38 pm »

Dust - Skirmish

Dust Skirmish is a rules mod that adapts the standard Dust 1947 rules to small skirmish battles. Players will have just 20 points to build their forces, however each of their models will operates independently, effectively making every model a unit of one.

When selecting a skirmish force Players may spend a maximum of 20 points and must comply with the following restrictions on unit selection.

1. All units must be from the same faction.
2. Vehicles are restricted to armour value 3 or less.
3. Flyers may not be taken.
4. Heroes may not be taken.

Game Play

Dust Skirmish uses the standard Dust 1947 rules with the following exceptions. Most notably every model operates independently and should be treated as though it were a unit.

Models are equipped only with the weapons indicated on their unit card. Special rules normally shared by a unit (such as scout or camouflage), may be used independently by every member of the unit. Special rules associated with individuals (such as Officer, spotter or Medic), will only be available to the appropriate model. As no heroes are available, and no models are able to combine to form larger units, skills may not be shared.

Command Squad Special Actions

Officers and Radio Operators
An Officer within Range 2 of a Radio operator may use the radio when making an ‘Ammo Drop’ special action. The radio operator does not count as activating and may still act normally.

‘GMYBOM’ special actions are carried out exactly as normal, remembering that each model is counted as a separate unit. A successful reactivation will therefore only be carried out by the model targeted.

As not every soldier carries a radio receiver ‘GMYBOM’ special actions may not be transmitted via radio in games of skirmish. Similarly ‘Rally’ special actions may not be transmitted via radio.

Medic
Any model who is eliminated within range 3 of a medic may be laid on their side and kept in play, rather than being removed as a casualty. Any model in this condition is classed as ‘injured’. A Medic may attempt a ‘Get up, it ain’t that bad’ special action on an injured model exactly as they would on a unit or hero. At the end of the game turn any models still in the injured status must be removed as casualties.

Medics may carry out an ‘Inject stimulants’ special action exactly as normal. However as each model in Dust Skirmish counts as an individual unit, the action will only work on the model receiving the special action.

Mechanic
Mechanics may carry out Makeshift Repair special actions exactly as normal.

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 08:16:03 pm »

I love this! It sounds super fun and I must try it as soon as I can!

Graystoak

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 08:35:31 pm »

Glad you like it! This is purely a thought experiment at this stage so any input is welcome.

I decided to restrict the range on GMYBOM to prevent the game from becoming a war of walker reactivation.

What I’m thinking about at the moment is using a single grid mat for the play area but using true LOS rules for shooting (anyone who has played Deadzone will be familiar with this). You would use the grid for movement and range as usual but need to draw a line from model to model in order to shoot. This would be more appropriate to a skirmish game and allow you to place multiple models in a single square.

Jarhead

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 10:42:01 pm »

pretty neat sir, I might give this a go aswell.

cheers
"Retreat Hell! We just got here!"

awx

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 12:21:23 pm »

Great work.

I've been thinking of something very similar for playing Dust as an RPG. I'm considering using the Dust rules but on a 31mm grid with each model as an individual unit. These skirmish rules would only kick in when the action is less combat focused. One scenario that I have in mind is somewhat like Indiana Jones, where the Axis are excavating a large dig site and the allies players must sneak through, searching several potential ruins for the one that contains the clue.

I also need rules for stealth and hiding.

Slowing down movement and combat are also things that seem promising to me but I'm not sure how to easily do that. To slow down combat, I greatly favor adopting the rule where units can only fire a single weapon per turn, e.g. only a panzerschreck or a rifle, but not both. For movement, I've considered just converting the movement to 31mm squares and possibly doubling it. So a movement of 3 would result in moving 93mm or possibly 186mm, equivalent to one or two normal dust squares.

For your skirmish games, why not kick up the points to 25 or 26, letting people use a full starter set?

I also want to make soldier 1 units less equal than their higher armor counterparts. I am thinking of giving soldier 2 units two health points, soldier 3 units three HPs, etc.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 12:25:02 pm by awx »

Graystoak

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 03:54:05 pm »

Hi

I had completely forgotten about this post! Needles to say I still haven’t played it, I’d be very interested to hear from anyone who has.

Interesting idea regarding the number of wounds on S2+ models. I feel this would probably over compensate and you would end up with the opposite problem (ie S1’s would become weak).

One simple solution is to remove the infantry save from S1’s. It’s a minor change and would instantly make them weaker than other infantry types if caught in the open.

Regarding infantry only using one weapon, I completely agree and this should be added to the above rules. And also raising the points to 25 would probably be ok.

* Recent Posts

Re: Special Episode - Opening the Hellgate by awx
[October 21, 2018, 02:01:47 pm]

Re: Special Episode - Opening the Hellgate by MaGoff
[October 20, 2018, 08:27:30 pm]

Re: Dust Skirmish by Graystoak
[October 19, 2018, 03:54:05 pm]

Re: Special Episode - Opening the Hellgate by awx
[October 19, 2018, 01:01:01 pm]

Re: Luftwaffe Hero-Modelkit by Mechaholic
[October 18, 2018, 12:15:22 pm]

* Calendar