My Community
  • December 12, 2019, 02:03:32 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

collapse

Author Topic: Special Episode - Opening the Hellgate  (Read 1391 times)

Franky

• Dust War Journals
Special Episode - Opening the Hellgate
« on: October 13, 2018, 04:47:11 pm »

https://dustwarjournals.com/2018/10/13/special-episode-opening-the-hellgate/

In this bonus episode, the Vikings opens up the Operation Hellgate expansion book, and go through all the new units, platoons and skills! Nothing will ever be the same!
Dust War Journals podcast: https://dustwarjournals.com/

Wiggy

Re: Special Episode - Opening the Hellgate
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 04:49:30 pm »

Really cool stuff coming out.  Rasputin kinda has me more terrified of the Mythos players in my community.

Question about the railgun.  It seems like it is in essence a much better version of the allies special weapon.  Do you think phasers will ever be upgraded or how do you think the railgun will be different enough to make them unique?  The small phasers only have 3/1 or 4/1 infantry and the opposite, 1/3 or 1/4, for vehicles.  Medium phasers are 5/1 6/1 or 7/1 for infantry and the flip for armor, 1/5, 1/6, or 1/7.  Only things that break that set up is the Devastator 14/1 and 4/4, the Bulldog 11/1 and 2/6, the dual field phaser 14/1 and 2/7, and the Kill squad 5/1 and 2/2.  The majority of these weapons are low shot count against infantry and single shot higher damage against vehicles.  If the railgun is also going to ignore infantry saves, have unlimited range ( which I can concede as being situationally good) and better chance at critical hits on vehicles then how will it be balanced?  Will they only have a single shot?  Or will they have the reload skill?  Phasers already increase the cost of the unit with them so if the railgun is going to be balanced that way the cost of the units would be astronomically high.

Not trying to complain just curious how you think this will play out.  I know a few of the people in my community are looking to get into the IJN and want to be ready for their new weapon.

Also, I thought I saw the SSU Tesla helicopter as bloc or PLA.  If it is only PLA that will be a let down.  On that note I am not a fan of the Take Aim ability but it does give the person running those heroes choices of how to use them to their fullest.  And choices are what make a game great.

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 08:15:29 am »

Yeah, Railguns ignore Infantry Saves and Cover Saves, and rolls three dice for Critical Hits. I'm not sure if all of them have Unlimited Range, but at least some of them do.

Like I said in the pod, it all comes down to how much dice/damage they have, and how many AP they cost. But I do agree that, at first glance, it looks a bit like "Phasers on Steroids"... Let's hope they've found a nice balance so that Railguns don't feel like straight up better Phasers.

I have no clue about the Tesla helicopter, but I agree that it would be weird if it was only PLA.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 08:18:12 am by MaGoff »

Corman

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 11:14:08 pm »

Very much enjoyed the episode! Quite a lot to look forward to!

And about the teslacopter, I have seen picture on facebook that depict the unit as both bloc and PLA.
Maybe there's hope there. :)

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 09:21:18 am »

I'm glad you liked it!  :)

awx

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 01:01:01 pm »

Paolo needs to bring the bloc Allies/Rangers/Heavy Rangers up to par with the others. This is getting ridiculous. They were already substandard and are getting worse comparatively with every new release. The Pounder and several other Allies vehicles need a substantial reworking. Even the cultists vehicles are more useful than the Allies medium tanks.

The phasers should have gotten buffed to ignore all cover. But since that's been given away, phasers should be changed to ignore damage resilience.

I get angry every time I hear someone from the Dust team on a podcast make excuses for this.

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 08:27:30 pm »

Paolo needs to bring the bloc Allies/Rangers/Heavy Rangers up to par with the others. This is getting ridiculous. They were already substandard and are getting worse comparatively with every new release. The Pounder and several other Allies vehicles need a substantial reworking. Even the cultists vehicles are more useful than the Allies medium tanks.
While I agree to this in principle, I think it would be enough to make a some of the Ranger/Heavy Ranger and medium Walkers a bit cheaper. Sadly, that will likely not happen until the next edition of the game (whenever that happens).

Also, Paolo has nothing to do with the rules/stats. That's Olivier's job.

The phasers should have gotten buffed to ignore all cover. But since that's been given away, phasers should be changed to ignore damage resilience.
Phasers do ignore Cover. Do you mean that they should also ignore Infantry saves?

Again, I think it's just a matter of unit costs. If Phasers were just a bit cheaper they would be fine in my opinion.

However, from what we've seen of the Railgun rule so far they do feel a bit like "Phasers on steroids" (depending on what dice/damage they get). I would rather have preferred to see a completely new game mechanic, that wasn't a simple "ignore all saves". A mechanic that would give players some new and interesting choices.

awx

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 02:01:47 pm »

Are you going to make the medium Pounder tank less expensive than the gun truck? I don't think that makes sense. Those units need to get better, cooler, more exciting and more interesting- not cheaper.

Yes, my thought on making the Phasers more viable was to expand their features to ignore more saves. To me, that would make them something to be feared and useful for taking out heavily "fortified" units.

If the heavy rangers were given smoke grenades that would help them, but they need a bigger revamp.

Jarhead

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 10:56:20 pm »

I have to say, though I'm totally awestruck with the japanese and will have several nergasms when getting my hands on them and playing them, I share the sentiments on the felt disadvantage of the Allies (which some of you probably already know). When going to the phasers especially, and seeing the fluff (and I'm a sucker for binding in game abilities to the fluff) a weapon as destructive as described in the several texts, should ignore Damage resilience. this would not only fit the fluff, it would also help the fact that of yet the Allies are the only "full" bloc without any DR unit. That would help a bit. also, the generel cost of many Allied units really feels to high compared to their actually efficency.

So I'd choose the middle ground: buff the Phaser a bit by making it the "Anti DR Gun" + lowering the overall pointcosts of some allied units. I actually don't believe that a new edition of the game would be needed. Well thought new values could just easily be issued as upgrade card pack, which is actually one of the things I love about the system, its basic rules are very good at the moment and allow for balancing adjustments by simply putting out new card sets for the Bloc or faction. would probably not even harm most platoons.

Cheers
"Retreat Hell! We just got here!"

* Recent Posts

Re: SSB? by Corman
[November 25, 2019, 09:45:11 pm]

Re: SSB? by MaGoff
[November 25, 2019, 08:37:24 am]

Re: Mortar + figthing spirit? by GregB
[November 25, 2019, 02:43:09 am]

Re: SSB? by GregB
[November 25, 2019, 02:38:46 am]

Special Episode - Paradise Lost by Franky