My Community
  • June 16, 2019, 08:30:59 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

collapse

Author Topic: Grapple ability clarification  (Read 537 times)

Dragut Rais

Grapple ability clarification
« on: October 26, 2018, 11:10:25 am »

Hi everyone, i have a question about USMC dogs. If i charge a unit with first strike (i.e a Chtulu Spawn) the attack are simultaneous. But if i hit with the dogs does the grapple ability trigger anyway? Granting me no retaliation? Tks a lot fir yr help

Carlson793

Re: Grapple ability clarification
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 12:39:55 pm »

If both units have First Strike, First Strike is ignored and both Units attack simultaneously (as a normal Close Combat Attack). Grapple comes into effect after both Attacks roll to hit, so would not prevent the non-grappling unit from completing their attack.

Also note, with the USMC War Dogs Recon Squad, Grapple is tied to the Dog Bite, so will only affect Infantry. If used against a vehicle (such as Spawn of Cthulhu), the dogs will be using Improvised Weapons, which do not have the Grapple rule.

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 12:45:35 pm »

It's the Dogs Bite attacks that have Grapple, and they have no dice against Vehicles so they can't Grapple a Spawn of Cthulhu.

But against an Infantry unit with First Strike you would both roll your attacks and resolve the Combat simultaneously. To be "safe from retaliation" your opponent must be an Infantry unit and not have the First Strike skill.

Edit: Look, a Carlson Ninja!  ;D

Dragut Rais

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 12:46:55 pm »

All clear thank you so much.

Carlson793

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 09:23:45 pm »

Edit: Look, a Carlson Ninja!  ;D

Nobody expects the Spanish Inq...err, umm... American Classifieds Paginator!

Corman

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 07:24:47 am »

About this, I also find interesting the different way in which the "stunned" condition deriving from grapple works, when compared to the same condition generated by a Tesla attack.

In both cases, the stunned unit cannot attack or retaliate in close combat, and if it activates when stunned, it is forced to use his first action for a "nothing".

However, while a "stunned by Tesla" loses the stunned status after the nothing action and it is then free to do what it pleases, the "stunned by grapple" can just use its remaining action to attack or to do special actions, and the stunned status is not lost (at least until the grappling unit is either killed or does something different than nothing actions itself).

Am I entirely correct about this?
Also, wouldn't be better if the game had two different names for the two conditions ("stunned by grapple" and "stunned by tesla") to avoid confusion?

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 08:06:46 am »

About this, I also find interesting the different way in which the "stunned" condition deriving from grapple works, when compared to the same condition generated by a Tesla attack.

In both cases, the stunned unit cannot attack or retaliate in close combat, and if it activates when stunned, it is forced to use his first action for a "nothing".

However, while a "stunned by Tesla" loses the stunned status after the nothing action and it is then free to do what it pleases, the "stunned by grapple" can just use its remaining action to attack or to do special actions, and the stunned status is not lost (at least until the grappling unit is either killed or does something different than nothing actions itself).

Am I entirely correct about this?
Also, wouldn't be better if the game had two different names for the two conditions ("stunned by grapple" and "stunned by tesla") to avoid confusion?
Yes, that is correct. And I agree 100% that the effects should have different names.

* Recent Posts

Episode 33 - The Calm Before Warsaw by Franky
[June 11, 2019, 07:12:38 am]

Re: Episode 32 - Nordic And Beyond by dropdeadcriminal
[May 29, 2019, 01:40:26 pm]

Re: Episode 32 - Nordic And Beyond by Corman
[May 25, 2019, 12:58:47 pm]

Re: Episode 32 - Nordic And Beyond by MaGoff
[May 23, 2019, 01:39:37 pm]

Re: Episode 32 - Nordic And Beyond by Valorel
[May 23, 2019, 01:36:04 pm]

* Calendar