My Community
  • June 16, 2019, 08:58:42 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

collapse

Author Topic: F4U Corsair (Revised)  (Read 254 times)

Christoff

F4U Corsair (Revised)
« on: March 11, 2019, 11:50:11 pm »

Hello All,
Thank you again for the feedback on the ancient post that I shall heretofore abandon.  Since the Allies finally have an aircraft with a phaser, this is something I'm happy to leave off the Corsair.  I added a bomb in its place since these were sometimes loaded onto the aircraft.  Modifying the stats in accordance with most of the feedback, this is the new AP for the vehicle using the calculator MaGoff helped me dial in a while ago (I'm happy to share this with whoever is interested, providing MaGoff is OK with that).  I think this should play well.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 05:23:47 am by Christoff »
Terrainiac

Carlson793

Re: F4U Corsair (Revised)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 03:26:35 am »

Just a few thought:

Need to make the bomb Limited Ammo. As listed, it can be used every activation.

Unlike the aircraft currently in Dust, the Corsair didn't have any kind of VTOL/STOL/Vectored Thrust capability. I'd try and find a way to limit its maneuverability, for example: only able to make one 45 turn per Move/March Move, and if it flies off the board, it can return the next turn from the edge it exited from. Mind you, the Storch has no such limitation, so what do I know.

Not a fan of it being more robust (7 hp vs 6 hp) than an aircraft that basically replaced it: the Storm. You'd think adding in VK tech would make the Storm more resilient, not less.

Christoff

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 05:22:33 am »

The bomb - completely forgot the limited ammo box (fixed).
Health - this makes a lot of sense, considering the Storm's stats (changed to 6).
I see your point about the limited maneuverability.  Not sure how any such adjustments would impact the AP value of the unit, however. But based on the Storch as you point out, this may be a moot point for the rule-givers. 

Just a few thought:

Unlike the aircraft currently in Dust, the Corsair didn't have any kind of VTOL/STOL/Vectored Thrust capability. I'd try and find a way to limit its maneuverability, for example: only able to make one 45 turn per Move/March Move, and if it flies off the board, it can return the next turn from the edge it exited from. Mind you, the Storch has no such limitation, so what do I know.

Not a fan of it being more robust (7 hp vs 6 hp) than an aircraft that basically replaced it: the Storm. You'd think adding in VK tech would make the Storm more resilient, not less.
Terrainiac

Jarhead

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 11:08:59 am »

The bomb - completely forgot the limited ammo box (fixed).
Health - this makes a lot of sense, considering the Storm's stats (changed to 6).
I see your point about the limited maneuverability.  Not sure how any such adjustments would impact the AP value of the unit, however. But based on the Storch as you point out, this may be a moot point for the rule-givers. 

Just a few thought:

Not so sure, being newer doesn't necessarily mean being more sturdy. The Corsair was an extremely rugged plane which was so well designed that it was still a valuable plane, even though in a different role, well into the Korea conflict in the 50s. it could swollow up hits like it was candy. Also, it developed over the course of the conflict to refelct changes in Technology mainly concerning armament, armor  and slight power adjustments to the engine. the storm on the other Hand incorporates Technology, which tends to be a bit sensitive (Jet engines) when it Comes to being hit. and a VK Reaktor / Fueltank? BOOM ;) and it has two pretty big ones of those nice engines....
Truth be told, I purchased a late war model F4U Corsair to dustify it, which basically means just doing a Card whenever I come around building the beauty. those late war / korean war models would even in a DUST context be worthy planes, as they where in real life. They swapped to 4x 20mm canons, had 900 KG bomb capacity and rocket firing ability (8x those 5 Inch HVAR). they could still wreck a lot of havoc in a support air to ground role, and they did.
Maneuvering: for a plane its size and weight, it was actually pretty maneuverable.  not like a Zero, but still. Maybe a Moment for not overcomplicating things in a game...

Cheers
"Retreat Hell! We just got here!"

Ravenwing

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 01:29:01 pm »

I agree on the rules - no need to limit the manauverability of this plane.

Is one bomb enough? Some Corsairs had a lot of armamments. 2 bombs + 8 rockets.

I think the card makes good sense.  :)
Copenhagen Dust player - no grid

* Recent Posts

Episode 33 - The Calm Before Warsaw by Franky
[June 11, 2019, 07:12:38 am]

Re: Episode 32 - Nordic And Beyond by dropdeadcriminal
[May 29, 2019, 01:40:26 pm]

Re: Episode 32 - Nordic And Beyond by Corman
[May 25, 2019, 12:58:47 pm]

Re: Episode 32 - Nordic And Beyond by MaGoff
[May 23, 2019, 01:39:37 pm]

Re: Episode 32 - Nordic And Beyond by Valorel