My Community
  • December 12, 2019, 01:27:40 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

collapse

Author Topic: Small vehicles  (Read 528 times)

Corman

Small vehicles
« on: June 25, 2019, 09:10:29 pm »

Now that more small vehicles are being added to the game, I went to read again how they work and there are... a two paradoxes.

One is easy to solve, although it requires some interpretation, the other is more tricky.

Small vehicles are to be treated like infantry in the way they affect LOS. The first paradox is that when they got destroyed, they become wrecks, which are supposed to block LOS.
I would assume that if something doesn't bloc LOS when is up and running, doesn't suddenly become large enough to block LOS when destroyed. But I wonder how you guys deal with this.

The second paradox is more tricky. In the rules it is stated that small vehicles do block LOS for other small vehicles, which makes sense. But why then they don't block LOS to infantry too? Do the infantrymen jump all the time to see behind the small vehicles? In this case, rules are rules, and I guess we are stuck to what's in there? How do you guys play this?

I wonder if a different wording could make this better. It would be sufficient to say that small vehicles do block LOS only for infantry and for other small vehicles, and when they become a wreck either dissolve (they're too small to hinder movement/block LOS) or are put in analogy to some other scenario element (e.g. it becomes the equivalent of an indestructible crate: doesn't block LOS, doesn't block movement, gives cover to infantry).

What do guys you think?

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
Re: Small vehicles
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 07:45:38 pm »

The first paradox is that when they got destroyed, they become wrecks, which are supposed to block LOS.
Wrecks from Small Vehicles does not block LoS, except for other Small Vehicles . This is covered in the errata:

"A Wreck provides Cover. It also blocks Line of Sight in the same way the Vehicle did before it became a Wreck."

The second paradox is more tricky. In the rules it is stated that small vehicles do block LOS for other small vehicles, which makes sense. But why then they don't block LOS to infantry too? Do the infantrymen jump all the time to see behind the small vehicles? In this case, rules are rules, and I guess we are stuck to what's in there? How do you guys play this?
I'm not sure what the "paradox" is? The rules clearly says that Small Vehicles only blocks LoS for other Small Vehicles. All non-Small units, including Infantry, can see and be seen straight through them, so that's how we play it.

I wonder if a different wording could make this better. It would be sufficient to say that small vehicles do block LOS only for infantry and for other small vehicles, and when they become a wreck either dissolve (they're too small to hinder movement/block LOS) or are put in analogy to some other scenario element (e.g. it becomes the equivalent of an indestructible crate: doesn't block LOS, doesn't block movement, gives cover to infantry).
Maybe that could work, but I think the idea is that you cannot hide anything behind those small cheap vehicles except other small cheap vehicles, not even Infantry.

If you could hide Infantry behind Small Vehicles I can see frustrating situations where people would just use them as shields for important units. For example, I'm glad that it's not possible to hide Steel Guards behind BA-64's. If they did block LoS they would probably need to have a higher AP value.

All in all, I think Small Vehicles works as intended, and that's fine by me.

Corman

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 04:01:51 pm »

Thanks for that MaGoff.

I did actually miss the part in the errata, as it is under the "wreck" section. That fixes the problem.
All the rest was actually a rant. I made some arbitrary assumptions, I see how the system works and why makes sense the way it is.

One more question though: I have seen that the Cultist Raiders and the Deadly Tilly cards do not have the "small vehicle" specification.
Is that intentional or a mistake? Looks odd since the Eradicator is. I'm talking about the actual cards, since the app seems not to indicate small vehicles at all (unless it is just me unable to find the info there).

MaGoff

• Administrator
    • Dust-Vikings
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 08:47:04 pm »

I have seen that the Cultist Raiders and the Deadly Tilly cards do not have the "small vehicle" specification. Is that intentional or a mistake? Looks odd since the Eradicator is. I'm talking about the actual cards, since the app seems not to indicate small vehicles at all (unless it is just me unable to find the info there).
I don't know if it is intentional or not. You would have to ask Olivier about that.

Corman

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 03:46:58 pm »

Ok, request for information sent.
I will update you guys if I hear back!

* Recent Posts

Re: SSB? by Corman
[November 25, 2019, 09:45:11 pm]

Re: SSB? by MaGoff
[November 25, 2019, 08:37:24 am]

Re: Mortar + figthing spirit? by GregB
[November 25, 2019, 02:43:09 am]